Designer Files: Sita Montgomery Interiors


I can't wait to share my friend, Sita, with you today as a part of my Designer Files series. Every other week, I love showing you the work of another talented designer. Sita is a wealth of knowledge on all things design! She's an interior designer, mom and blogger. Today we get to find out if she prefers symmetry or asymmetry, what she couldn't live without in her home, and how she manages to keep her home tidy and well-designed, even with three kiddos! Welcome Sita of Sita Montgomery Interiors.



1. What is one of your favorite home projects or pieces in your home?

I just finished designing my Master Bedroom and right now, it is definitely my most favorite room in my home. I kept the color palette very neutral and added some metallic elements to keep it interesting. The result is a restful retreat that also feels sophisticated and classic. My husband and I love spending time, relaxing in our bedroom.

2. How did you get into design?

I have always had a desire to make my surroundings beautiful. When I was 7 or 8 years old, I felt the closet doors in my bedroom were too plain and boring. Asked my mom to buy me some acrylic paint, which she did. I took the paint and painted a pattern at the top of my door that mimicked the color and pattern of the wallpaper border in my room. Yes, I said wallpaper border...it was the 80's after all! As an adult, that inherent need to transform my surroundings manifested itself in my own home. Friends and family started asking me to help them with their homes. What started out as a hobby soon became a full blown design business. I never take for granted that I get to make an occupation out of my passion. I consider it one of my greatest blessings.

3. Stripes or plaid? 

It is so hard for me to choose! I love both so much, but you'll see more stripes in my design and fashion than you will plaid.

4. Geometric or floral? 

Okay, I really can't choose between these two! Almost all of my designs incorporate both geometric and floral patterns. My personal design aesthetic tends to be a little more feminine, so the use of geometric and floral patterns together, help to give my designs a more gender neutral feel. My answer is geometric AND floral. :)

5. Symmetry or asymmetry? 

This is an easy one for me. 100% symmetry. I have tried and tried to get out of my "symmetry box", but I just can't do it. I am hard wired to look for balance in a room and all of my room designs are driven by the need to create that balance. Don't get me wrong, I love asymmetry in design and some of my favorite designers are asymmetrical design geniuses, but I'm a symmetry girl all the way.

6. One decorating "rule of thumb" is:

My number one decorating rule of thumb is "Incorporate trends, but avoid being trendy." In our Pinterest and Instagram world, we are flooded with images of "trendy design". Chevron, anyone? It is so hard to see the all trends and not feel the need to fit them all into our homes. Right now, gold and brass is everywhere. If you want to incorporate that trend into your home, start with a gold foil pillow or a brass accent table. If you really, really love it, switch out some light fixtures, or pull the trigger on a brass framed coffee table, but unless your love affair with brass began long ago and has continued regardless of what the trends are in design, you might want to think twice about buying that gorgeous brass canopy bed. On the flip side, don't feel the need to incorporate all of the latest trends into your home. I absolutely love all the ways macrame is being used in interior design these days, but you will never find it in my home. It's one thing to step outside your comfort zone when it comes to design, but you never want to take the leap that leads you off the cliff! :)

7. I couldn't live without _____ in my home.

Natural light. One of my favorite things about my home is all the natural light that floods in, especially in the morning. We are fortunate enough to live in a home where we have no one living behind us. Our backyard borders protected wetlands, so we have giant mature trees in our yard. The back of our home has large picture windows that face east and let in a ton of light . They are all equipped with roman shades, but those shades never come down. I've found that natural light is a huge mood booster for me, it just makes me happy!

8. A design don't:

I think this goes back to my decorating "rule of thumb", but don't feel pressured to follow the trends. I believe so much of design is about how it feels. If it doesn't feel good to you, don't do it. Good interior design is an extension of the person the space belongs to and is timeless. Switching it up a little to incorporate new trends is always fun, but don't feel pressured to do so.



9. You have young kids. How do you keep a pretty, well-designed home with littles running around?

I get this question all the time and the truth is I don't know how to answer it. I'm going to say that 90% of it is luck. I had my two girls and then my son. My girls were never destructive or really busy. They weren't drawn to touch any of the accessories I had placed out and they have always been good about keeping the food in the kitchen. My son is definitely more rambunctious. When he was very young, he was more inclined to touch things, pull on drapes, etc. Luckily, he grew out of that very quickly. Having the examples of his two older sisters has helped tremendously. I think part of it is that our homes have always been designed. My kids have grown up in a designed environment. When we were newly married and had very young kids, everything was done on a modest budget and I kept in mind that whatever I put in my home had to be child friendly. We had leather ottomans and velvet microfiber sofas. It wasn't until we moved into our current home almost 3 years ago, that we started to really invest in the interior design of our home. My children are still young, but old enough that they know how their father and I expect them to show respect for not just the people in our home, but the things as well. That being said, our basement is filled with furniture we have had for years, coupled with newer pieces from places like HomeGoods and Target. They can let loose down there and be kids. I think it is important to have a balance.



10. What has been one of your biggest design challenges?

Truthfully, designing my own home has been my biggest design challenge. I have a need to have every space in my home be "done", but like many others, I have a budget that hasn't allowed for that. It is hard for me to see spaces in my home that don't look quite like I would like them too, but I know that, in time, I will be able to actualize the vision I have for them. One of the sayings I try and live by is "All things in moderation." My father used that phrase constantly when I was growing up and now as an adult, it has become a mantra for me. And so it is, even when it comes to Interior Design.

***

I love her decorating rule of thumb. So important to remember to stick to classic elements when decorating our own spaces, and not feel like we have to incorporate all of the trends. 


Go visit Sita Montgomery Interiors today!

Happy Wednesday!
xoxo
Photobucket

3 comments

  1. I love seeing Sita's work :) Such a talent and a fun read Michaela :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read, Michaela. Just love Sita. And I love hearing more about her dos and don'ts. Everything she touches is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great profile! I enjoyed learning more about Sita's style. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top